Monday, June 25, 2012

you can lead a horse to water

you have to know two things here. first of all, when the hurricane ran itself inland last summer and pushed a river through the freshtown over in margaretville, i knew that store would come back. i say this because when it happened we were a month or so past a visit to the homeland, to tornado alley, to joplin. and what i know about that place is that the most important promise anyone made was to come back, to rebuild. no matter what. because people have enough to do without having to drive forty miles each way for food. so when i see that highwater bear welcoming cars into the parking lot again, i am not surprised. there is always something unexpected happening in that parking lot.

the second thing, maybe more important to this story but not more important to the larger world, is that horses and i regard each other with a healthy distrust. not the big old belgians, the draft horses bred for work and gentleness, but the horses bred for prettiness and cantering and riding fast. i am suspicious of their huge round eyes that always seem on the verge of rolling insanely back into their heads. i am uneasy around their hoof stomping and teeth gnashing and their constant nervous motion. they are equally suspicious of my timidity around them, my own nervous motion. they know i do not know what i am doing. this has led, several times in the past, to me clinging to a rearing, angry horse, to me tearfully clutching to the saddle of a runaway animal while someone else leaps onto the horse behind me, cowboy style, to steer the monster. this has led to my avoidance of mounted police, certain stalls at state fairs and some parades.

but donkeys are another thing altogether. donkeys, like draft horses, have been bred to work, to carry weight without tiring. they have sturdy legs and soft eyes and round bellies. and unlike horses, donkeys are eye level with me. which is why, when we pull into the freshtown parking lot, i see the donkey first. because of the grand re-opening of the store there is a stand selling locally made soap and another for a nearby produce farm and then, over at the corner by the water that looks so innocent and low these days, there's a pen with a donkey, two white chickens, something that looks like a baby yak and a horse. the animals are milling around in hay and a little girl stands with her father outside the bars of the pen, reaching through to touch the animals.

i am halfway there before the sweetie is even out of the car.  i reach out to the donkey and make a clicking noise i've heard people make around big animals. horses and donkeys do not ever make this sound as far as i can tell, but they seem to like it. i suspect they connect the sound to food. the donkey hears me and looks up a bit from the hay. i hold out my hand, steering clear of the horse that hears me, too. the donkey puts its stubby neck over the bars and i scratch its ears. if you've never been up close to a donkey i can tell you they've got the best attributes of a good dog in a size and shape you can ride. this particular donkey goes by beauregard, although his red halter is stitched in white with the word jack.

the chickens ignore me, ignore the little girl. we are of a similar mind, both of us unsure about animals so large but willing to risk losing a limb to touch the soft monsters. a man comes out of the grocery store with a large box full of produce. bruised peaches, scarred pears, a dropped apple, brown bananas. he hands me a green apple and tells me to hold my hand out flat. i put my hand over the bar and hold it flat, trying not to think about the slabs of teeth moving toward me. my hand stays steady and i look at the donkey but it is the horse that pushes its nose up to me and gobbles up the apple. the man hands a peach to the little girl and she cautiously feeds the donkey. the man hands me a pear. the horse leans over the bar and i offer the pear. he chews slowly and stays where he is so i scratch along the sharp bone of his jaw.

i know this animal is standing here because he is waiting for more food. i know this. but when the horse finishes the pear he stays where he is a moment, then leans toward me, resting his heavy jaw on my shoulder. his giant eye is right there next to mine and he stays there, the weight of his jaw holding me to the ground. no horse has ever been this still. no horse has ever chosen to do anything other than try to kill me. but this horse leans against me like the small brown dog tends to do, like he doesn't even care about food. and i am not afraid at all. not even a little bit.

No comments: